Meet Our Leaders
Dr. Frederick Browning Board Administrative Officer, President and CEO
Dr. Frederick Browning is the Founder of SonRise Faith Community Center in Chandler, AZ. He is a retired Educator and Minister and has served the ministry and community for over 30 years. He is the father of three beautiful daughters and grandfather to three grandchildren. His work has taken him halfway around the world focusing on teaching, training, counseling/coaching and ministering. His passion is building people up to live successful and prosperous lives regardless of where they start.
Steven Browning Advisory Board Member
Steve currently works for the Family Violence Center within the School of Social Work at Arizona State University. Educational achievements include: M.Ed. in Counseling/Human Relation from Northern Arizona University; B.A. in Sociology from California State University Northridge; Life/Relationship Professional Coaching Certification through Life Impact LLC.
In addition to being the Chair of Fathers for Scholars, Steve continues to serve and has served on various local and national boards to include: National Board of Fathers & Families Coalition of America; Points of Light Foundation and Corporation for National Service Youth Task Force; City of Phoenix Youth and Education committee; AZ KIDS Consortium; Westside Head Start Health Services Advisory Council. Most rewardingly, Steve relishes his time with his wife of over 35 years, children, grandchildren, and indeed serving his local place of worship on the Elder/Pastor team.
Travis Johnson Board Member
Travis’s favorite quote is: “Our challenge is not to educate the children we used to have or want to have, but to educate the children who come to the schoolhouse door”. – H. G. Wells
We have a slot open for one (3) Board Members.
Like all non-profit organizations, a Board of Directors helps govern Fathers for Scholars (F4S). Our board is a passionate, diverse group of leaders with backgrounds ranging from technology to education, faith to financial services. We all have one common mission – to work as a team to serve students, primarily young fathers.
The board meets monthly and is highly involved in the development and growth of the organization, taking ownership of key results.
While day-to-day operations are led by the current F4S board chairperson, the Board relationship with the chair is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Serving as a trusted partner to the chair as s/he develops and fulfils F4S strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by F4S for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving F4S annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Assisting board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Serving on committees or tasks forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing F4S to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring our commitment to a diverse board and organization that reflects the communities we serve
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to and understanding of the type of service and supports that F4S provides
- A natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating and building consensus among diverse individuals and stakeholders
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of F4S clients
- Ideally, professional experiences with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, faith-based communities, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Father for Scholars!